Knit 1, Read 2

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Questions for the panel

OK world travelers, ALERT! Scott has said to assume he is going for now. He did think we were going to Rome while Lyn was in her free travel period when he said that, but I am going to hold him to it now that it looks like we will be traveling in June/July and going to England/Scotland and not Italy.
Questions:
Weather/clothes in England in summer. I'm still cold natured, movies always depict rain; are the English offended by men in shorts and women in jeans? Do I need more than one skirt? Do I need a skirt? If we go into Westminster am I in a neck/knees/sleeves environment? Are my crocs suitable for anything other than the shower? Do I need some sort of rain attire?
Air travel: 2 big men. Why should I pay for 2 first class seats when I can buy an extra coach seat on the bulkhead or exit for the non person between them and give them even more space than they would have in 1st class? AND, that way we could all sit together and Scott wouldn't be wigging out. (However, if I fly non-res with my sister's ticket, he'll just have to get over not being on the same plane.) Is there a GOOD reason not to just buy an extra ticket for the guys?
Have you seen people knitting on planes with "porcupines" otherwise known as sock-needles? Usually about 5 knitting needles about 6" long and made of bamboo. The NTSB site says most of the time you are OK, but to travel with a self-addressed stamped mailer just in case. I don't want to lose my good needles, folks...this is a huge concern! ESPECIALLY if I buy neat needles and or yarn in Scotland!
Has anyone ever been to, heard of, Rushton Northampton? Rushton Hall is a triangular building from the 1500s. Might have to see that if it is possible and on the way from London to Liverpool via the train.
Speaking of trains - which I think may be my preference...One person says rent a car here to drive there. Others say buy train tickets there, don't buy Eurail. Another says Eurail tickets are still transferable so whatever we don't use we can give to Lyn and friends. Advice? Heckles from the audience?

2 Comments:

  • We rented a car in England and in Germany and we had a blast going to all the little places we wanted to go to. We really didn't have a set schedule so if we saw something that looked interesting, we'd just take off that way and find it...that way you don't have to worry about schedules, etc. I'd really double check aboaut the knitting needles. If you buy some in Scottland, I'd be sure to put them in my checked bagage...Amsterdam is the toughtest airport on security! Sounds like a logical idea about the seats, but Gene could probably give you better info on that. Clothes - Lay out everything you think you will need then take half of it. I usually take 2-3 pairs of pants, 2-3 top shirts and then a clean t-shirt and clean underwear for each day ( I do take my most ragged underwaear so I can just throw it away every day). Last time we went, Vivian went to Goodwill and bought all her clothes and then she just left them after she wore each outfit two days. That wasn't a bad idea, either. If you have a light weight jacket that has a hood, take that and then take other stuff that you can layer so if you need more clothes you can add then or take them off as needed. I don't know why i m telling you all of this when Beckie and Reagan and the queens of traveling in Europe. Do remember if you travel buy train, you have to carry those suitecases off and on with you all the time, so travel LIGHT! HAVE FUN!!!!!

    By Blogger Tammie's Thoughts, at 8:00 AM  

  • You left a note on my blog that said there was confusion on the part of the Honors House. I know that things will get worked out, but there has been an issue of "who is responsible" since Lyn's decided to do this special trip. Typically, any program that does a special trip has to do all their planning/prep stuff and someone in Lyn's department did not take care of business. They have waited on someone else to do all their planning and it just doesn't happen that way. Business Department does a special summer program in London and they handle it all. This department has not been willing to do anything other than say they want to go and advertise it! It takes work on the front end and they expected someone else to do it for them! Well, enough of that.
    Now for the important stuff like you getting the boys over there. I think that extra ticket thing might be your best bet. I would not pick the exit rows because they do not have movable arm rests. Gene was most comfortable when he could lift the arm rest. When you start looking at tickets, go to seatguru.com and check the configuration of the plane before you make your final seat selection. I would think that the bulkhead with liftable arm rests is a must if you buy an extra ticket so that you can also get the extra leg room. [it does make watching the movie harder though]

    I totally agree with Tammie about the clothes. According to Rick Steves, the travel king, "there are two kinds of travelers; those who pack light and those who wish they had."

    I also agree that if you are staying in England/Scotland that you should rent a car. Individual train trips can get pricey. DO NOT try to drive in London, though. The rest of the UK is easy to drive through. Also, consider buying a British Heritage Pass for free or reduced entrance into most of the museums and castles. If you go on the continent and want to see several countries then the Eurail pass is better.

    Knitting needles might be address on the TSA website. That or a phone call would save you from having yours confiscated.

    I feel sure that we will have long, involved conversations about all of this. And regardless of what Gene says...HE DID HAVE FUN!

    By Blogger BW, at 3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home