Knit 1, Read 2

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Motorcyclists for the Messiah

OK, the name is really corny, but I didn't help come up with it! Tomorrow is motorcycle Sunday at our church, everybody with a bike is supposed to ride to church, eat afterwards, and then ride. Scott originally wasn't going to participate, because he didn't want to take part in something that was going to cause bad blood. We've got him ready to go, though. I'm ready. I decided I can't wear my "Harley Riders: The Kind of People Your Mother Warned You About" t-shirt. It has a really big hole at the belly button. I may wear my cousin's bike shop shirt, despite it being named Iron Horse, which I'm sure was named for the trashy magazine instead of the "iron" horse connotation. No matter what shirt I wear, I'll have my blue jean jacket on in the 100 degree heat. I'll soak it in water right before we eat and let it drip a while. Then, while it is still wet, but no longer dripping, I'll put it on and ride in air-conditioned comfort while all the newbie rough riders are miserable and sunburned in their sleeveless shirts. Maybe I'll "convert" someone at church tomorrow! I know we'll have several there who don't go to any church. Hopefully, they'll see we have fun even while trying to live as Christians. I'll say this for our current preacher; we weren't thrilled about his oratorical skills at first, but he'll say what others shy away from. Last week, his sermon included big rocks he handed out to the congregation as he was speaking. His point was, let's not throw stones at our visitors next week. Not bad.

8 Comments:

  • What great ideas, the motorcycle Sunday and the air conditioned jacket...does Gene have his jacket with him? He'd do that in a heartbeat if he has his jacket with him.

    Be safe and have a great time!

    By Blogger BW, at 3:11 PM  

  • I like the stones idea!!! More churches need to think like that expecially if they are having a bike Sunday and inviting people from the community! Great air conditioning idea, too, especially as hot as it has been. I'll keep that in mind the next time tim wants me to ride with him.

    Like Beckie says, Be safe and have a great time!

    My word is bxjkxqe

    By Blogger Tammie's Thoughts, at 8:37 PM  

  • Well,it was hotter than blue blazes, but it was a good day. Everyone got home safely, and that's what counts.

    By Blogger Rushton, at 3:01 PM  

  • Very cool. I love the open mindedness of your church. How many riders did you have?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:31 PM  

  • We had 40 bikes to complete the ride, 122 miles, btw, but about 100 to come just for church. Neat, huh?

    By Blogger Rushton, at 6:23 PM  

  • Oh! And, Gene did do the waterdown!

    By Blogger Rushton, at 6:23 PM  

  • very neat.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:26 PM  

  • What a great idea with the jean jacket...my dad still won't let me ride motorcycles, but if we were with ya'll, I would bet he would make an exception for his 32 year old daughter.....
    Love the stone example....Not bad at all!!

    By Blogger Jenn, at 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home