Knit 1, Read 2

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Brylcream Trip

You know how a little dab'll do ya? Well that is the type trip we had. A little dab, but it was worth the drive. Scott had a little of his usual travel anxiety, but it was minimal enough not to really get to anyone. He made it down to the beach with his bum ankle once and enjoyed the surf. He sat and watched us from the pavilion the second time and had a bonus watching for the Blue Angels.

Aaron and Lyn really enjoyed the ocean. Lyn and my brother must have more of the primordial soup in them than I do, because it seems that they are never so truly relaxed as they are in or near the water. I believe Aaron has a healthy dose, too. The weather was cooperative right up to the last minute in Mobile where we watched a cool lightning show over the USS Alabama as we drove into town.

The town of Flomaton will forever be linked to jokes about the origin of its name and uses of a flomaton or whether or not aliens brought flomatons from space. The general consensus is that it cannot possibly be a real town, but some product from the 1950's to regulate water flow.

Lyn took some spectacular pictures and she and Aaron will fully chronicle the trip at some point in the future. I'll reproduce it here as soon as they cough it up.

Anyone else finished Harry Potter yet? I know you haven't gotten it yet, Reagan. I will say I thought it ended the way it should end; I shed copious tears; don't believe everything you hear from the rumor mill; and none of us would want all our secrets out in the open.

Back to school tomorrow. I find coming in "a really close second" in job interviews is not as comforting as some would hope it would be. I have come in second to a couple of people that knowing I was second to THEM was very disturbing. I only hope it is because I know them much better than the interviewers after working with them for several years. I also hope I don't lapse into bitterness and give up. I finally have figured out why I've been so unhappy in a job I enjoy. I was incredibly busy with meaningful work until the decision was made to hire the politic person for the position I'd been groomed for over five years. Since then, I've not been given jobs with meat or meaning any more, and I find that very disheartening. I hate not having meaningful work every minute I'm at work. So, this fall, I intend to make something up to do to benefit someone every week. Call it Not So Random Acts of Kindness. But, hopefully, I'll be able to do it in such a way as not to be recognized as doing so deliberately. I'm open to ideas from the panel. The one person who reads this from my school is not permitted to comment about this to anyone but me. You may come up with ideas to suggest, but you may not repeat this to anyone. Besides, you should be on your way back to school or something else significant, anyway!

Everyone have a good week. Nothing happens to us which does not eventually have positive meaning for us if we will let it. I intend to let it happen.

4 Comments:

  • I'm glad you had a good trip to the beach! You surely are having to start back to school early! Hope your not so random acts of kindness pays off like you want them too - I'm sure they will - who can not appreciate an act of kindness? You will feel better for them regardless!

    Have a great school year!

    By Blogger Tammie's Thoughts, at 9:25 AM  

  • Shrimp Basket??? did you like it?

    I like the random acts idea. I know that anonymous notes can be a good thing when you use them to point out what you like about your co-workers.

    Sorry about the job. Good will come your way, I am positive.

    By Blogger BW, at 10:23 AM  

  • I love the beach...I'm glad that ya'll got to go and enjoy some family time.
    The job will come...until then, the random acts of kindness are a super idea! I had 2 club sisters in college that did that (I still to this day, don't know who one of them is!) would send notes and I loved EVERYONE of them. I still have them tucked away in my special letters box.

    By Blogger Jenn, at 11:34 AM  

  • I just wrote a great comment, but seem to have lost it. I thought I posted it, but it seems to be missing. I guess I'll start over and try to remember everything I said.

    1. I won't tell anyone about your random acts.
    2. I think it is a great idea.
    3. I am very sorry that you didn't get the job.
    4. I think the kids at DMS benefit greatly from the meaningful work you do in your classroom everyday.
    5. I'd love for you to help keep the DMS literary club going. Could that be considered a random act? It sure would make some kids happy.
    6. I want to get together and knit.

    Okay, there are the main ideas. I had nice paragraphs for all of them before, but Bill is heading off to bed and I think I will join him.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home