Knit 1, Read 2

Thursday, August 23, 2007

In the last eleven days...

One's life can certainly turn on a dime. Scott found out within that 11 days that the insurance due to stop covering Aaron at the end of September because of his 24th birthday could continue if he were back in school. Most of you who read this know of Aaron's struggles with depression for the last 2 years. Depression and school do not mix well. APSU and Aaron didn't mix well either. Harding doesn't like it when you try to come back without mentioning intervening school time. Academic review boards at state schools can be far more forgiving than you might expect. Sometimes Christian institutions can be much less forgiving than you might expect. Most of the time, it pays to keep on plugging. We'll see what the final outcome is, but Aaron as of 7:46pm, Thursday, August 23, is at Harding, in an apartment, reinstated as a student, but with no classes. We await the registrar's decree.

Lyn's friend, Nash, went to the doctor today to see if he may have skin cancer. He is a young man, Lyn to Aaron's age. Please pray for him, if you will.

Lyn is currently sitting between two Jareds in chapel, keeping company with Nash, and being pursued by Michael. She has a new job at a clothing boutique in Bald Knob. I think she also has some art classes.

I have a new friend. Kathy Cobb, who lives just up the road a bit, close for around here - just 5 miles - has hired me to teach her to knit. We got along so well and have so many things in common, I'm not sure the lessons will last long but it looks as if we have each found a fast friend already. I was open to a new one at last. It is very hard to admit this, but I don't easily let people in or make new friends easily. I make really good acquaintances fairly quickly - but few with whom I'll share as much as I share with you in this extraordinarily public forum. Not that I think more than the five of you who aren't my children are distributing my blogsite to the masses, it is just easily stumbled upon by strangers. Odd that I could have a lurker knowing more about my life than most of my relatives! (If you are a lurker, you are still welcome - I just wish you'd reciprocate with the sharing!)

I just finished an Oprah's book club selection. The Reader, by Bernhard Schlink was compelling, but I did not enjoy it. (Odd, I've never enjoyed an Oprah selection I've read.) It reminded me of the Stones by the River (I think that was it) about the dwarf girl who lived at the time of the holocaust. The Reader was set in the years after, but they paralleled in lots of ways. I did not like either book, but couldn't stand not to finish them. I kept hoping for more, for a resolution. Didn't get one. Neither of the protagonists could work the antagonist out of their psyches. I find that in some people - I tend to think of them as intrapersonally retarded. They don't know themselves even well enough to decide to have a goal. Very sad.

I've come to a point in my life that I can't wear sleeveless shirts. Just knit a really cute one and can't wear it. I feel naked. It will have to have sleeves. But it is a beautiful shell just because of the colors. Think late fall leaves after the yellows have turned brown and dark gold. Don't forget the reds. THAT's what color it is. Ribbon thread. Can't wait to wear it. Once it has sleeves to cover at least the top of the wings.

It was 100 degrees still when I was coming home from work at 4:00. It has been two weeks of this with no end in sight according to Leland on channel 5 tonight. I'm just glad it isn't comparably cold.
And people said the Internet would destroy letter writing...

1 Comments:

  • Sorry you didn't like The Reader. I hate it when I make a bad recommendation. :(

    Did we meet Kathy in the coffee shop that day? Isn't it cool to find a new friend. I met my neighbor at in-service. Who knew I had such a cool neighbor? We've been getting together for coffee and really having a great time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home