Knit 1, Read 2

Saturday, August 05, 2006

My Transitional Life

Got an email; EdS (ABD to the rest of you) may not have met its quota to make. Hmmm. That may require some decision making on my part.
One of the very best bosses I've ever had, one of Lyn and Aaron's favorite assistant principals and coaches, and a brother in Christ has Hodgkin's. He is my current superintendent, Charlie Daniel. (Yes, that really is his name) If you have a list, please add him to it.
Lyn, Scott and I are going to Hendersonville today to specifically help my dad buy a new suit. My oldest niece, V, is getting married in September, Dillard's has spring weight suits 1/2 price, and this is Tennessee's tax holiday weekend. I've never helped my dad buy clothes. I don't think I've ever bought him any clothes. He wore some of Scott's dress shirts for a while after Scott left Wally World, but Daddy still weighed just shy of 200 pounds and had a pretty big neck. He's down to about 145 now. He wants me to come to keep him from making a mistake. V and Bill wouldn't care if he came in his underwear, as long as he could come, that would be enough, but Daddy is still a bit of a clothes man, so we will do this. I don't know why my transitioning from what Mother did for him and what I do for Aaron and Scott is feeling so strange. Aaron has only picked out superhero T's and Hawaiian shirts, ever. Scott went from his mother doing the buying to me doing it. We went from Wrangler's to Levi's with one trip to the store...now he's in Diamond Gusset's and is seriously trying to buy stock. Once again, that was a one trip wonder, I've done it since. Is it because it really does seem like a "caretaker" activity, even though the only thing that has changed for either of us is the person saying, "That one is nice" or "NO!"?
Lyn's Memphis trip got canceled once again. The father of the young man brought unexpected guests home from Mexico, so Lyn's bed disappeared. Last time, his folks took a trip leaving him home with his brother. So, that wouldn't have been a good time to go. They are going to try to meet in Searcy before he heads to Italy with Beckie. Lyn handles disappointment with such aplomb, you never really know if she is upset or not.
I've started what may be my biggest knitting project to date. A nautical afghan for my brother's boat. He has a queen size bed in the aft stateroom and there is absolutely NO decoration of any sort in there. So, I figured a signal flags afghan would be appropriate. Its acrylic yarn, so he can take it topside and the lake or ocean air shouldn't rot it for a hundred years. Only thing is, I didn't read how big it was before I started. I have 3 squares done on a 9 square strip (about 1/3 of the length and 1/4 of the width.) It is a little over 20" wide and about 30" long already. This thing is going to be HUGE! Good thing I love him!
I was about to close and post when Scott called me to the kitchen. We've had abotu 16 hummingbirds this summer at our feeders. We are sure some of them have nests. That isn't the story. We also have a mating pair of hawks (shiny chins maybe?) who hunt right out the kitchen door. One has been up in the tree with the clothesline on it until just seconds ago when he/she swooped in for the kill. No wonder our squirrel and chipmunk population seems to be dwindling!

2 Comments:

  • It is an intersting transition from daughter to caregiver. Being a part of the sandwich generation is a learn as you go process. We need to make sure that our children are paying attention so that they will treat us good when they take care of us!

    By Blogger BW, at 6:29 PM  

  • I think you've got it made in that area, Beckie, and so does my sister, Diana, but I'm not sure about Tim and me...Joe says he'll never let us go to a nursing home one minute and the next he says he won't live to be 40 so that could be interesting...I found out just how that can be going from child to caregiver the last couple of days and I didn't like it very much...It's sad and I'm praying that when Mama doesn't know us anymore that God will take her home because like Freda said in response to my blog, I know she's gonna love her some Jesus time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home