Knit 1, Read 2

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

This is titled "Knit 1" after all

If any of my knitting friends are still reading this blog, I am almost finished with the Celtic Cardigan. I lack the neckband which will be tomorrow's project. I normally hate seaming up a sweater, but this was not too bad. Got the button bands right on the first pinning and that is the reason for the blog tonight.

I've tried lots of different methods for holding two pieces of a project together while you seam up. Hair clips, blocking pins, actual basting, hemming birds, all sorts of different things others swear by as the be all and end all. I have a different and inexpensive solution that is already in your knitting stash. DPNs! Amazing! You have a 5 - 8" pin in sets of 5. Nothing gets in your way, you can leave them there until all is finished or take them out as you seam. Nothing moves, nothing snags, nothing gets buried and pokes you unexpectedly.

Can't believe that after a good 35+ years of sweater knitting that this was the first time I thought of it. I was just trying to remember if I ever knit a sweater while I was still home with Mother. I don't think I did. I think my first sweater was at college when I got an unexpected invitation to a football game and knit a sweater in less than a week. Of course, I was already knitting without patterns, but this one was a real no-brainer. I held three yarns at once, using the only needles I took with me, Mother's ancient wooden 10s, knit 4 squares - 2 large and 2 just a bit smaller and sewed them together into a very stylish (for the time) short sleeved, warm, burgundy sweater! I wore that sweater for years before I unraveled it and knit someone an afghan with the yarn. That project wasn't nearly as impressive as making a skirt, blouse, and shawl one morning before an afternoon wedding! Not knitted!

Last bit for knitters. I'm reading a Cat Bhordi novel.

5 Comments:

  • Bordhi?

    By Blogger Rushton, at 5:43 AM  

  • I have no earthly idea what language you are speaking...I think they call it knit... :)
    Your projects sound like such fun. Maybe one day you can teach me how to knit!! What fun!!!
    Glad you found a solution to hold your stuff up while you seam!

    By Blogger Jenn, at 6:35 AM  

  • 1:27 pm Wednesday. Just finished the knitted portion of the Celtic Sweater! Ahh. Now to hide all the fiddly bits!

    By Blogger Rushton, at 11:28 AM  

  • I look forward to seeing pictures of the finished project. I still haven't tackled a sweater, but i do have my knitting bag packed again and don't leave the house without it. I'm working on some new dishclothes now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:40 PM  

  • Better yet, we could get together for some knitting/chatting time and you could show me the sweater in person.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home