Knit 1, Read 2

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I'm not scared, I'm not sad

I've had two experiences in the last 24 hours which have had rather profound effects on me. Just a few minutes ago, I threw away one of the last dishcloths Mother made. It had a huge hole in it and it wouldn't bleach again without totally disintegrating. I held it and thought about washing it and putting it in the drawer just as it was. Then, it occurred to me that Mother taught me to knit, so even if the things she made wear out from use and love, I won't wear out the skill she gave me. That is the big present, not the dishcloth, so I smiled and pitched that smelly dishcloth in the trash without a bit of regret. It was just string. (besides, I have some for Lyn and Aaron in the cedar chest!)

The next one has to be dealt with with humor until there is a reason to be scared, so don't you be worried, either. I went to the urologist yesterday because I'd been having blood in my urine despite rounds of antibiotics to get rid of it. I'm usually a slow healer from UTIs. Hurrah for clear kidneys and bladders! But, to be on the safe side, my doctor did a CT scan. My uterus is taking up far more space than her fair share in my pelvis. So, I'm thinking I'll soon be giving a no more tampons party and all you girls are invited. (To my sensitive son, you'll get over it if you aren't invited. And...just be glad I'm not like the mom who was trying to help her son desensitize by saying "penis, vagina, penis, vagina..." all the way home from school the day of the "sex" talk in health class. ) I am not at all concerned about a hysterectomy, if that is where this is going, which is my first choice if they let me play doctor. My prayer is that there isn't anything my family will suffer through. Other than that, I'm OK.

Love you all!

2 Comments:

  • When you schedule the party let me know. I can come and take care of you. I helped Tammie get over hers and I will help you also. In the meantime, I am praying (and lighting candles) that a party will take care of all the problem.
    Much love heading your way long-distance!

    By Blogger BW, at 8:26 AM  

  • BW is a great care taker- I know from first hand experience! and the party sounds like lots of fun. I'll be praying that a party is what is in order!

    About the dishcloth, I found that to be very profound and enlightening and smart of you to take that approach and point of view. Since our fire several years ago, I have learned that it is people and skills and memories that count the most - not stuff. I'm glad you didn't have to live through something like that to learn that very valuable lesson!

    By Blogger Tammie's Thoughts, at 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home