Knit 1, Read 2

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Don't Mess With ME TODAY!

Today, since it is the first Saturday after December 1, I will be cleaning the living room, dining room and kitchen in preparation to putting up the Christmas trees. There are two men peacefully slumbering right now, who will get a nice breakfast, never knowing what is about to hit them. All the boxes have to come down from the attic, branches must be "fluffed", lights must be checked, light schemes must be preappoved, and a decision must be made about the den tree.
The den tree may have to go by the wayside since things are so crowded in there right now. The boys got a projector last year for Christmas, so we have to leave the screen available for Lord of the Rings day, White Christmas/It's a Wonderful Life evening, and Santa Clause afternoon. Plus, I bought a new couch, love seat and chair. Loveseat goes to the office bedroom as soon as I get the chair my parents started housekeeping with (it was bought seriously used 65 years ago) and the flower power chair covered with the leather I bought last October.) It would be a nice relief on or about January 1 to only have one tree to disassemble, but where to put the ornaments? How do you decide which ones go on and which ones stay in the box? Maybe Scotts's theme tree will go in the kitchen this year and the other big tree will go in the dining room and we will just eat on trays all month.
My mother always thought I was nuts for putting up so many trees at Christmas (I think our biggest year was 5) until she came to see them. Then she was enchanted, as corny as some of it is, and blessed us for the efforts. I'm so glad she came to see it.
My obsession comes partly from a childhood of not making much of a deal about the holiday and then as a teen not doing gifts anymore after Bob was in a coma for so many months and getting to come home for a while right before Christmas. That was a good year. I wasn't much on decorations and such either until Lyn was born at Christmas. We wanted Aaron to feel like it was such a special present to be getting a baby at Christmas time. At three, he said his best present that year was his little sister! Awww. (He had flatly stated just a few days before that she was a brother and that we'd have to wait til Sunday for a sister. )
Things have just grown a bit since then. Well, we'll manage.
I MUST get STARTED!

2 Comments:

  • Beckie is right, we did mention you often and talk about how much fun it would have been to have you wih us in Italy. We did eat gelato everyday and on the last day I even ate it twice! I have spent the day putting up one christmas tree...the one that goes in the foyer with all Santas on it. the one in the game room is sitting up there bare and still will be tonight when the praise team gets here for their Christmas party. I must have been crazy to say yes to them haivng the party here two days after i got home from Italy. Tim was supposed to have the trees up and that he did...the trees were up, but not a single ornament was on either one! I used to put one up in each child's room and another in the kitchen with family photos on it and then the one in the game room has all the ornaments that aren't Santas on it and one year Joe(y) still calld me Scrooge because I wouldn't outline the house in lights! One day I'm going to decorate and just leave it up all year. I love Christmas - I already have a Santa cabinet that displays my Santas all year long...I can hear it now..."That crazy old hacker woman...never takes down her Christmas trees...."

    By Blogger Tammie's Thoughts, at 2:14 PM  

  • You go, girl!

    I also am not to be triffled with today...I have driven into the train station in Florence four times, now and I have driven to the airport...We are women hear us roar!!!!

    By Blogger BW, at 7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home